Blog from Vice President- Tim Coan

I never really liked cats, so how did I end up in animal rescue?

That was until I met my wife, Crystal. When we began dating her Siamese, Baby Boy took an immediate liking to me. We started dating in the winter and Crystal’s parents kept the house pretty cold. Well, when we would be watching TV or sitting on the couch, here would come Baby Boy and sat right on my lap. Anywhere I went in the house, do did Baby Boy. I am a very warm blood person and I think baby Boy liked that about me.

Crystal and I married after dating just 6 months. I left college and found a job in Elkhart at a factory making pretty decent money with 2 of my other buddies from home. Elkhart was about 90 minutes from our home town of Marion Indiana. Just far enough that the parents could not drop by whenever they wanted. Perfect for a newly married couple.

At first we lived in a hotel while we looked for a house to buy and Baby Boy remained with Crystal’s parents. We would go home on weekends and stay with our parents. Baby Boy seemed to like me even in the summer.

Baby Boy came with us when we moved into our first house. I worked second shift at a local trailer parts factory and Crystal worked first shift. At first Baby boy would stay in the basement looking out the windows when Crystal went to work at Kroger’s stocking the non-food isles as the manager. Baby Boy loved to look for spiders in the basement and eat them. I thought the spider eating was a handy skill for a cat.

Gradually Baby Boy started coming around me when Crystal was gone to work and I loved to sleep with him and cuddle while watching TV. Baby Boy was also great company when I was doing chores or working around the house.

One day we were in Marion visiting our parents and we went into a local pet store to pick up some food for Baby Boy. Baby Boy went back and forth with us from Elkhart to Marion, almost every weekend. In this pet store I saw Pepper Sue, the most beautiful tortoiseshell point Siamese. Pepper Sue was so friendly that she was loose in the pet store. I took one look at her and said we will take her. Crystal tried to dissuade me because we were going on vacation the next week. I immediately volunteered my Mom to babysit Pepper Sue even though my Mom was a dog person and never owned a cat.

When we got back from vacation my Mom was in love with Pepper Sue and wanted to keep her. Pepper was so outgoing and fun. My Mom called Pepper Sue a slut because she could lay on her back and spread her legs. It was not very lady like but Pepper Sue did what she wanted

Pepper Sue and Baby Boy took to each other like they were related. They curled up and slept together. Baby Boy was the typical Siamese, all dignity and regal. Pepper Sue was a hoot and not dignified and anything but regal. Baby Boy would sit and have his tail wrapped around himself. Pepper Sue would be on her back and flip her feet over her head and push herself along the carpet.  What a great pair to have in our home.

Baby Boy and Pepper Sue were the least amount of cats we would have the rest of our lives because soon I was adding another Siamese to our house………………..


Blog 2

Pepper Sue was the funniest and sweetest kitten and cat. Pepper never met a stranger and was a great snuggler and followed us everywhere. We loved her so much that we went back to the pet store and asked if there were any relatives of hers that we could adopt too and of course they had one.

Natosha was a blue point Siamese and was a sister to Pepper but she would never be as wonderful as Pepper but had a unique personality. Natosha or Tosha as we called her was much like a third child or baby in any house. Bratty and used to getting her own way. The three Siamese got along well and we enjoyed their crazy Siamese behavior. These 3 would be the last “pedigree” cats we would ever have.

So now fast forward and we have rescue cats only, we never pay for a cat or kitten. The need is just too huge to get animals from breeders. We either adopt from a shelter, rescue or rescue them off the streets ourselves.

We began this rescue journey after the Washington tornado when a friend and coworker lost his home.  We fostered their cat, Snickers. Snickers was a dream foster because he was 12 years old and a real sweetheart.  It was at this time I also had my first contact with Pekin Animal Hospital and Shannon Seiss. Pekin Animal Hospital was doing great things for the people and pets that were displaced by the tornado.  They had part of their building dedicated to the donated items to assist with all of the pets in need.  We helped Pekin Animal Hospital transport some supplies at that time.

After Snickers was able to move back in with his family. We decided to try fostering a Mama and 7 kittens.  The experience with the Mama and the 7 kittens was wonderful but the experience with the shelter was not so great. We were convinced we could do a better job.

TLC Fosters had begun and we did not even know it yet.


Comments are closed.